Yarraville Community Centre supports the Black Lives Matter movement and are committed to fighting injustice and stand in solidarity with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to bring awareness to the mistreatment and injustice of Indigenous Australians.
We respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands and waters across Australia and express deep gratitude to be able to share this land with them. YCC acknowledge the sorrow and sacrifice for the cost of that sharing and will continue to work towards a shared future of equality, respect and solidarity with this nation’s First Peoples.
We recognise that we have work to do in educating, and having conversations to enact change.
There are many ways to learn and support about our Indigenous culture. Here are just a few ways to learn about and show support to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders:
- Following IndigenousX on Twitter https://indigenousx.com.au
- Subscribing to Indigenous news media such as NITV https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv
- Educating yourself about Indigenous dispossession and inequality https://www.abc.net.au/rightwrongs
- Educating yourself about the Stolen Generation through the testimonies and videos on the Healing Foundation website https://healingfoundation.org.au/stolen-generations/
- An Aboriginal-run charity that trains local people to deliver literacy classes in their communities https://www.lflf.org.au