Mrsfoodiemumma – Marie Muccio, foodie, wife, mum of three and granddaughter – inspiring you to get excited about food!
13-minute tuna and tomato pasta
Now that summer is within reach, I’m wanting to spend more time outside enjoying the sunshine instead of in the kitchen.
The other day I was in the kitchen cooking for two hours preparing a dinner that I was really proud of. It turned out my kids, on the other hand, weren’t very impressed!
I ended up having to make wraps so I wasn’t sending them to bed with empty tummies. It made me realise sometimes you just need to go back to basics, and get some time back to enjoy with your family. It’s great to have a handful of easy, go-to recipes you know are fool-proof and won’t take long to put together. More importantly, recipes that you know your kids will enjoy! One of these go-to recipes for me is this simple and delicious 13-minute tuna & tomato pasta. This recipe is perfect if you answer yes to any of these questions:
- Are you are short on time?
- Do you have fussy eaters at your house?
- Do you want to serve up healthy and nutritious dinners that won’t take
hours and the kids will actually eat
I call this the 13 minute pasta because it literally takes 13 minutes! It takes 10 minutes to cook the pasta and in that time all you have to do is have your tuna ready, your tomatoes halved, your herbs chopped and ensure your olives have no pips. Then it’s 3 minutes to cook the sauce, toss it all together and dinner is done. So give this a try and use the extra time you saved to create memories with your loved ones.
Prep time 10 minutes. Cook time 13 minutes. Serves 5.
- 350g dried pasta such as shells
- 400g good quality tinned tuna
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 300g cherry tomatoes halved
- Small bunch basil & parsley, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 12 black olives, pips removed
- Handful of baby rocket to serve
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to packet instructions.
- Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water and then drain and set pasta aside.
- In the same pot add the canned tuna with its oil and the garlic, tomatoes fresh herbs and black olives. Give it a good mix and then cook, covered for 3 minutes or until the tomatoes start to soften.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the pasta to the pan and toss through the tuna mixture adding a few splashes of the reserved cooking water.
- Divide into bowls and top with rocket and lots of Parmesan cheese