Mrsfoodiemumma – Marie Muccio, foodie, wife, mum of three and granddaughter – inspiring you to get excited about food!
Hello Spring! Here’s to some warmer weather to enjoy those iso walks and take in wonderful Mother Nature. It’s amazing how we now appreciate the little things. With the theme of spending more time outdoors, I want to show you how you can spend less time in the kitchen by sharing a little bit about pesto!
Let me start by saying that I think pesto is so underrated. I don’t know any other sauce that’s ready in 5 minutes flat! No other sauce that’s bursting with so much delicious flavours and no other sauce that’s so versatile. Toss it through pasta, spread it in wraps, serve it with fish or grilled meat, in salad dressings or drizzle it over roasted veggies. It’s the ultimate flavour enhancer.
What better use of fresh basil that grows in the warmer weather than to make a batch of this green goddess sauce? The best part is, once you have the classic recipe down pat you can then experiment with different flavour combinations using kale, spinach, walnuts, pistachios, broccoli and so
Pesto will keep in the fridge in an air tight container for up to a week or freeze in individual portions for up to 6 months. The below recipe is enough to feed a family of five with extra pesto to freeze for another use. For this recipe and so many more be sure to check out my website www.mrsfoodiemumma.com
- 60 g pine nuts
- Large bunch of fresh basil leaves picked
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 60 g Parmesan
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil plus extra
- Toast the pine nuts in a small fry pan on low-medium heat until aromatic.
- In a food processor add the pine nuts, basil leaves, garlic, Parmesan, olive oil and salt and pepper. Process until mixture is smooth, add more olive oil if mixture is too thick.
- Serve tossed through your favourite pasta or with grilled meat or fish