Are you 18-76 years old, healthy, weigh over 50kgs? You may be able to give blood. Blood donations are not just needed to save lives during emergency situations but also in common health scenarios that average people like you may face every day.
Women bleeding post delivery
- Saving new born babies
- Life threatening immune deficiency conditions
- Heart surgery
- General surgery
- Blood clotting disorders
Only 1 in 30 people in Australia can donate blood which means we are often short of blood supplies. Check your eligibility here: https://www.donateblood.com.au/eligibility#can-i-give-blood
Tania Delahoy: Medical Scientist / Haematologist
Ecoanxiety and ecological grief
These are terms that have been coined recently to describe these feelings. It’s easy to feel anxious, helpless and hopeless about the environment. Things you can do to cope include taking action and doing what you can, maybe changing how you shop, or travel for example. Take time to focus on some good projects and conversations that are happening locally and globally. Be kind to yourself. you’ll be most productive if you can sustain the action and thoughts.
Two exercises for injury prevention when jogging:
- For the nervous system: Sit down on a chair, bring your head to the shoulder (make sure the other shoulder stays down), when you feel gentle nice stretch take a few deep breaths. Then swap the side.
- For the vestibular system: Stand on your right foot, lean your ear towards each shoulder. Then, return your head to neutral and turn your head from left to right. See how much balance you may lose. Repeat this movement a few times, swap legs and repeat.
Iwao Shimizu, Myotherapist
Mushroom Immune Soup
- Soak 2 handfuls of any combination dried Shiitake, Reishi, Turkey Tail mushrooms. (Avail From Asian grocery)
- Sauté 4 fresh crushed garlic cloves in 2tsp sesame or coconut oil
- Add 1Lt chicken or veggie stock & mushrooms
- Simmer 15mins
- Cook rice or soba noodles & 1 soft boiled egg per bowl separately.
- Last 2mins
- Add cabbage, green beans, broccolini
- Add extra fresh chilli or kimchi or tamari to taste.