By Nadine Smith
The ultimate mid-week one pan winner, conveniently ready is less than 30 minutes and combining the contrasting textures – crunchy and creamy, this meal offers great sustenance and nourishment.
- 3 tbsp EVOO
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g egg noodle nests
- 400g can chickpeas with liquid
- 400ml vegetable stock or water
- 200ml verjuice or white wine
- 200ml pouring cream
- 1 lemon finely sliced, pips removed
- 1 cup finely slice tuscan cabbage or kale, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp baby capers, drained
- 4 sprigs of thyme, stalks removed
- Pinch Red Aleppo or smoky style chilli flakes to serve (optional)
Preheat oven to 190C. Heat a wide based pan over a medium heat, add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, onion and garlic and a pinch of salt flakes to draw out the moisture. Allow to cook without colour for a few minutes. Add the egg nests and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until the nests are lightly brown and crisp, turn over then add the chickpeas with their liquid, the vegetable stock and verjuice (I use the tin to measure). Jiggle the pan a little to settle the liquid amongst the nests and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Lastly, add the cream and layer over the sliced lemon rounds. Transfer to the oven and bake uncovered for 15 minutes keeping a close eye on it to ensure the top is not taking on too much colour. Finish by adding the tuscan cabbage, capers and thyme sprigs tucking the cabbage down into the reduced sauce slightly. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes. Sprinkle with your favourite smoky style chilli flakes before serving (if using). Enjoy immediately.