Mrsfoodiemumma – Marie Muccio, foodie, wife, mum of three and loving granddaughter – inspiring you to get excited about food!
Another slice of pie please! It’s what the whole family will be saying after they try this delicious chicken and vegetable pie. This pie has been a family favourite of ours for many years and It’s easy to see why! As you cut into the golden, flaky pastry you catch sight of the creamy chicken and vegetable filling. It’s so comforting and delicious. Perfect to warm you up on a chilli autumn night.
Pies, both savoury and sweet have a real homely feel to them. A hearty meal with no fancy ingredients. It’s good, classic food at it’s best.
Your kids are going to love it too! There never seems to be anything left on their plates when it’s chicken pie night. Might I add that this pie probably makes an appearance on our dinner table at least once a month. If you have fussy eaters, it’s an easy way to get your kids to eat their vegetables. This pie is loaded up with carrot, zucchini, mushroom and corn. You can then add or leave out vegetables depending on your preference.
You can’t go wrong with this recipe; it’s been tried and tested many times over and it’s safe to say its fail proof and it’s ticking all the right boxes.
I use chicken thigh fillets so the chicken stays tender and won’t dry out in the oven. You can make the pastry yourself of course, but for this recipe I use store bought (pampas) puff pastry. It reduces the prep time and makes this pie an easy weeknight meal. Pair it up with a side of green beans or salad and dinner is done!
Once the pie is cooked you just need to have the patience to wait until it’s cooled down enough to dig in and devour!
I hope you will love it but I will let you and your family be the judge. Enjoy!!
For many more family favourite recipes check out my food blog at www.mrsfoodiemumma.com
- 20g butter
- 800g chicken thigh fillets cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 brown onion diced
- 1 leek finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 zucchini diced
- Around 10 button mushrooms sliced
- 400g tin corn kernels drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 2tbs sesame seeds
- In a med pan on med heat add 1tsp olive oil.
- Add onion, leek, celery, carrot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add zucchini and chicken and cook until chicken has browned.
- Add your mushrooms and stock and bring to a simmer. The reduce to low and cook for further 10 min or until liquid has reduced.
- Stir in corn. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a pie dish lightly grease the base and line with a sheet or 1.5 sheets of pastry.
- Scoop in your chicken filling then top with remaining pastry sealing the edges together.
- Brush with lightly beaten egg and sprinkle over sesame seeds.
- Make a few small slashes so heat can escape
- Place in preheated oven at 200 degrees and cook for 30 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden.