The West Gate Tunnel Project achieved multiple major milestones this year, transforming Melbourne’s skyline and the way we move around our city for generations to come.
As the project prepares for a busy new year, we’re looking back on all that was achieved across 2023.
- 2023 kicked off with a touchdown on the city side of the Maribyrnong River. The Maribyrnong River bridges will provide a direct route from the tunnel to the port and the elevated motorway above Footscray Road.
- In just over a year, Tunnel Boring Machine Vida finished her work on the inbound tunnel in February. A few months behind her in the longer outbound tunnel, Tunnel Boring Machine Bella completed excavation in May.
- Work by a specialised crane on the city-shaping elevated motorway above Footscray Road was completed in September.
- In October, crews completed the steel frame of the main bridge that will connect drivers between the tunnels and elevated motorway that takes them to the city.
- West Gate Freeway widening is nearing completion. Next year, you’ll see us asphalting sections of the freeway and installing all the electrical equipment needed to ensure we can keep you moving safely and efficiently.
Thank you for your patience and support in 2023.
We know our work has impacted you, so we want to thank you for your patience throughout the year. We can’t wait to continue our hard work in 2024 so we can deliver you this city-shaping project.
Have a question? Find out more about the West Gate Tunnel Project and stay up to date on summer works, or contact us at westgatetunnelproject.vic.gov.au