26-30 Murray Street, Yarraville C.1950
By Mark Macdonald
A rare and unseen photograph captured from the old Yarraville Post Office bicycle yard of three shops situated on Murray St, Yarraville, near the Sun Theatre.
These buildings date way back to 1880s. Most surprising of these three is the now missing Milk bar that was demolished and replaced with the current brick residence in the early 1980s. The former National Bank of Australasia building has been transformed into a private residence, with its upper decorative façade and chimneys removed. The butcher shop of J. McHugh is now The Younger Sun Bookshop. The bookshop verandah structure was removed somewhere between 2013 and 2015.
In the distant background stands the original Salvation Army Hall, erected in 1887, which remained operational until around 1984 and now serves as a private residence.