Mrsfoodiemumma – Marie Muccio, foodie, wife, mum of three and granddaughter – inspiring you to get excited about food!
Hello 2020! I love Summertime! Summer is for outdoor fun; BBQs, cricket matches in the park and catch ups with friends!
One of my favourite excuses to heat up the BBQ is for these delicious grilled chicken burgers!
This is a great recipe to have up your sleeve when you have a crowd to feed because they are always a hit! They are healthy, delicious and so easy to put together!!
They are also a great option for a family weeknight meal! The chicken is coated in spices and grilled on the BBQ or griddle pan. The grilled chicken is paired with your favourite trimmings in crusty burger buns! I have used the tiger rolls from Bakers Delight.
Every single bite is bursting with flavour and you gotta love that! It’s all about the trimmings too of course! I pair my chicken burgers with smashed avocado, lettuce, tomato, thinly sliced red onion and cheddar cheese. Whoever said everything tastes better with cheese was so right!
If you are short on time the chicken can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the fridge until you’re ready to grill it!
Some tips for cooking your chicken:
• Make sure the grill is hot before you cook your chicken. This ensures even cooking and seals in all those lovely juices.
• Using olive oil along with the spices to rub into the chicken helps to prevent the chicken sticking to the grill.
• Ensure you don’t over cook the chicken as it will become tough and dry. The chicken is cooked when a knife is inserted into the thickest part and the juices run clear.
Now all that’s left to do is squash it together with both hands and enjoy every bite!
• 2 Chicken Breasts, halved
• 1tbs olive oil
• 1tsp cumin
• 1tsp coriander
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 tsp salt
• Rind of 1 lemon
• 4 burger buns
• 1 large avocado, mashed
• 4 slices cheddar cheese
• 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
• 4 iceberg or butter lettuce leaves
• Place the chicken in a bowl with the olive oil, spices and the lemon rind and rub all over until the chicken is evenly coated.
• Heat your BBQ or griddle pan. Once hot, cook chicken for about 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
• Slice open your burger buns and prepare your burger toppings; smash the avocado with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Slice the tomato and thinly slice the red onion.
To assemble the chicken burgers layer the buns with lettuce, grilled chicken, tomatoes, onion, avocado and cheese. Enjoy!
For more recipes check out