Mrsfoodiemumma – Marie Muccio, foodie, wife, mum of three and granddaughter – inspiring you to get excited about food!
With all the hype and excitement of the footy finals over the last few weeks I decided to get in the spirit and make an Aussie favourite. If you were to you ask what comes to mind when you think of the footy. I bet the top response would be a meat pie of course!
Although the taste might be there you just never know what you’re going to get with a packaged meat pie and I think most of us don’t want to know!
So I want to share a meat pie recipe with you that’s going to still taste great but it’s going to have a whole lot more goodness in there and a lot more actual meat!
And because most of us are in a hurry when it comes to dinners at the best of times I’m going to show you a cheat’s meat pie. It doesn’t involve hours of cooking but still delivers on that great meaty taste with delicious flaky pastry.
This is delicious and hearty meal the whole family will love! All the while the kids won’t know you have packed in all the veggies! It’s a winner! So grab the tomato sauce (I promise you won’t even need it!!) and get baking because you my friend are in for a real treat!
If you make this I would love to hear from you!
For more dinner inspiration and healthy meal ideas you can follow me at facebook.com/mrsfoodiemumma and instagram @mrsfoodiemumma
Gourmet meat pie
- 1 onion diced
- 2 celery stick diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 kg beef mince
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato past
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 4 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180 deg
- In a large frying pan on med heat add 1tbs oil and fry onion, and celery until soft. Around 6 minutes.
- Add carrot and zucchini and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add the mince and cook until browned.
- Add beef stock, tomatoes and tomato paste and Worcester sauce. Bring to simmer then reduce to low and cook for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile lightly grease an oven prod dish and lay 1 1/2 sheets of the pastry to line the base.
- Carefully spoon in the meat mixture and use the remaining pastry to cover and enclose the pie.
- Brush the pie with the egg wash and sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.